Last Updated onReading Time: 7 minutes
If you’re not sure if you’re ready for health and wellness coaching, WATCH THIS VIDEO.
Before Choosing a Coach
Consider asking yourself these questions:
- Do I want my coach to take an active or passive role in our work together?
- What qualities do I need to respect and trust a coach?
- How do I want to work with a coach—in person or online?
- Is it important that my coach has overcome similar issues to mine?
- How do I want to be motivated and receive feedback?
Answering these questions will help you better assess what will work best for you.
The field of coaching includes many kinds of coaching and related certification programs. Some more rigorous than others. When you start your search for a life or health and wellness coach, Google can help you research and identify top certification programs.
In the field of health and wellness coaching, the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaches (NBHWC) partners with the Board of Medical Examiners (the same organization that licenses medical doctors) to offer a national certification process.
This certification process ensures that health and wellness coaches meet national standards set by leaders who pioneered science-based training, education, and research of health and wellness coaches over the past 15 years. The certification also ensures that coaches follow a code of ethics consistent with those of other healthcare professionals.
NBHWC requires that applicants complete an approved health and wellness coaching program and 50 coaching sessions to sit for the certification exam. You can use the list of approved training programs to narrow your search. (I am one of the first 1,000 coaches to pass the exam.)
As You Research Coaches
After considering a coach’s training and certification, ask yourself these questions. Does the coach:
- Seem to understand concerns like mine and have experience working with them?
- Have an online presence that aligns with what’s important to me (website and social media)?
- Provide information and resources online that helps me understand their approach and guiding principles?
- Detail the specifics of working with her or him such as the number of sessions, communication in between sessions, and resources to provide support and accountability?
- Offer a free consultation call?
Guiding Principles of Rebalance Wellbeing
My personal approach to health and wellness coaching includes these guiding principles. I integrate these beliefs into my work so you can expect them to shape your progress if we work together.
- People are whole beings, so solutions need to address mind, body, and spirit to be effective. If we work together, we will focus on ALL of you. At first, it might seem strange to you that we’ll consider every issue from the perspective of mind, body, and spirit, but attention to all three will help you leverage momentum to get the best results.
- We need mental, physical, and emotional energy to make sustainable behavior change. Making change isn’t for the faint of heart. If we work together, one of the first things we’ll do is look for places to boost your energy and stop any drains. I know you can make the progress you want. And, I want to set you up for success by making sure you have enough energy.
- Researchers tell us how humans typically work and change behavior so we should leverage that knowledge instead of trying to swim upstream against its natural tendencies. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel! Plenty of evidence-based practices exist that we can leverage in our work together to make your success easier and sustainable.
- Adults have the power and ability to take charge of their choices in work + life even if they don’t believe it at the moment. My superpower is to hold space for your dreams until you wholeheartedly believe they’re possible too.
- With support and accountability, everyone can go after their dreams and goals—a life they love. You get to decide what’s important to you and I’ll stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you as you go after it.
Not surprisingly, these principles aren’t the only ones that guide my coaching practice. That said, they are different from most coaches.
I know it takes time and effort to rebalance wellbeing. You didn’t get here overnight. You choose where to start, how much to take on, and the pace of change. I’ll share research and best practices to help you leverage your mind, body, and spirit to thrive and live a life you love.
Choose the Right Coach for YOU
After you’ve completed your online research, make a list of 3-5 questions that are important in your decision-making process. You can use the ones above or add some of your own. Then, pick three coaches that you would like to book a consultation with and ask each one your questions. (This helps you compare them as you pick one to work with.)
While it might feel uncomfortable to schedule a call with someone you haven’t met, you deserve the best coach for your strengths, values, and desires. The time spent on these calls to find the right person to help you get unstuck and make progress towards your goals is well worth it.
I would love to talk with you if I’m one of the three coaches you pick for a consultation! You can book your clarity call with me right now. Such a great first step towards putting your dreams, goals, and priorities first.